The WS-C2960G-24TC-L is one of the Catalyst 2960 series fixed-configuration switches offering Fast Ethernet and Gigabit Ethernet connectivity with enhanced LAN services for midsize and branch office networks.
The G-24LC model provides:
- Twenty-10/100/1000Base-T ports for desktop connectivity
- Four dual-purpose uplink ports, each having one 10/100/1000 Ethernet port and one Small Form-Factor Pluggable (SFP) Gigabit Ethernet port, with one active at a time.
- Note: SFP connectivity requires an adapter such as the GLC-FE-100FX transceiver.
The LAN Base feature set includes a rich Layer 2+ suite of intelligent services, including advanced quality of service (QoS), granular rate limiting, and access control lists (ACLs), and multicast services.
Security is delivered through a wide range of authentication methods, data encryption technologies, and Network Admission Control (NAC) based on users, ports, and MAC addresses.
There are two options for switch management: an embedded GUI device manager for all operating systems and the Windows-based Cisco Network Assistant available at no cost from the Cisco Web site http://www.cisco.com/go/cna.
Addition management is available through Cisco Works SNMP network-management software. CiscoWorks for Switched Internetworks provides end-to-end device, VLAN, traffic, and policy management. The Web-based CiscoWorks Resource Manager Essentials enables automated inventory collection, software deployment, easy tracking of network changes, views into device availability, and quick isolation of error conditions.
Here are some notable features of this product:
- Enhancements to the standard Spanning Tree Protocol, such as Per-VLAN Spanning Tree Plus (PVST+), UplinkFast, and PortFast, help to maximize network uptime.
- Multilayer QoS features help ensure that network traffic is classified and prioritized, and that congestion is avoided in the best possible manner.
- Each dual-purpose uplink port allows connection either through copper Ethernet or fiber-optic cables (fiber-optic requires an SPF adapter).
- Express Setup simplifies initial configuration of a switch through a Web browser.
- ACLs can be used to restrict access to sensitive portions of the network by denying packets based on source and destination MAC addresses, IP addresses, or TCP/User Datagram Protocol (UDP) ports. ACL lookups are done in hardware, so forwarding performance is not compromised when implementing ACL-based security.
Product service and support: Cisco will provide five years of hardware and software service and support ("SMARTnet") for any product or product bundle obtained through this donation program.
More information about this product is available on the Cisco Web site.